Taking an exam is the final step to earning an ISA certification. When you go through the check-out process to pay an application fee, you will be prompted to confirm that you are aware of, have met, and can document that you meet all the following requirements:
- You agree to commit to the ISA Code of Conduct
- You meet the education and work experience requirements for the certification for which you are applying
- You acknowledge that you may be randomly chosen for an audit and will need to provide supporting documentation
Once you successfully pass the exam, you will receive a digital badge, and if you choose, you will be listed in the ISA Credential Directory.
Certification Exams Available
- Certified Automation Professional® (CAP ®)
- Certified Control Systems Technician® (CCST®) — Level 1
- Certified Control Systems Technician (CCST) Specialist — Level 2
- Certified Control Systems Technician (CCST) Master — Level 3
Submit payment to apply for the chosen certification when you are ready to take the exam and can confirm that you meet the requirements to sit for the exam. You will be notified by email with next steps to schedule your exam.
- CAP Requirements
- CAP Application Fee
- 347 USD — ISA Members
- 467 USD — Non-members
- CCST Requirements
- CCST — Level I Application Fee
- 331 USD — ISA Members
- 415 USD — Non-members
- CCST Specialist — Level 2 Application Fee
- 315 USD — ISA Members
- 397 USD — Non-members
- CCST Master — Level 3 Application Fee
- 331 USD — ISA Members
- 415 USD — Non-members
Apply for CCST Certification for Free
Register for one of the CCST review courses and apply for certification for no additional fee. The following courses qualify: Level I Review Course (TS00), Level II Review Course (TS02) or Level III Review Course (TS03). You will automatically receive an exam invitation once you start the course. By paying for the review course, you are confirming that you are aware of, have met and can document the requirements for the certification level for which you are applying.
ISA accepts payment for exam fees by check, certified check, money order, PayPal payment, wire transfer in US Dollars, or credit card. Make checks payable to ISA. For wire transfer account information, please contact ISA Customer Service. The following credit cards are accepted: AMEX, Discover card, Master Card, and VISA. Purchase orders are not accepted.
Fees are nonrefundable. It is your responsibility as the applicant to thoroughly review the requirements of the certification for which you are applying. No refunds will be made for applicants who do not appear for testing on the appropriate exam date. There are no group discounts for certification application fees.
After you submit the application, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org one month before the beginning of your assigned exam window with steps to schedule the exam. Follow the instructions in the email to schedule your exam—online or at a test center—through the online exam scheduling system. You can get more information about your exam window deadline by accessing the “My Credentials” tab in your ISA account.
It is important to be certain when selecting the method and time you want to take the exam. You may incur fees if you change the time and method of testing. Exams must be scheduled in advance as follows:
- Candidates in the United States and Canada: You must submit your scheduling request at least two calendar days prior to your desired exam date
- Candidates in other countries: You must submit your scheduling request at least five calendar days prior to your desired exam date
If you do not receive confirmation of your scheduled exam within two business days of submitting the request, please contact Scantron by phone at +1 919-572-6880 or email email@example.com.
If you are applying for CAP or CCST certification, you have a twelve-month exam window. You may take the exam at a test center or online during one of three exam windows (see chart below). Each exam window will have a deadline for applications to be submitted. Eligible candidates will only be able to take the exam during the following exam windows.
|Exam Window||Application Submission Deadline|
|2022 Window 3:
1 November 2022 – 31 October 2023
|15 September 2022|
|2023 Window 1:
1 March 2023 – 28 February 2024
|15 January 2023|
|2023 Window 2:
1 July 2023 – 30 June 2024
|15 May 2023|
|2023 Window 3:
1 November 2023 – 31 October 2024
|15 September 2023|
A modified Angoff Method is used to determine the pass point for each form of each exam. The modified Angoff Method uses expert judgements to determine the difficulty level of the exam. The easier the exam, the higher the pass point. Likewise, the more difficult the exam, the lower the pass point. The following is a basic outline of the modified Angoff Method (some details have been omitted):
- A group of subject matter experts (SMEs) independently rate each exam question within a given form of the exam. The ratings are defined as the probability, or likelihood, that an acceptably (minimally) competent person with the requisite education and experience will answer the question correctly. An acceptably (minimally) competent person is defined as someone who adequately performs all job functions safely and requires no further training to do so.
- The SMEs review each exam question as group. A statistical consensus is reached for the difficulty rating of each exam question.
- After the data are refined, the final step is to calculate the mean, or average, of all the exam question ratings. This becomes the overall pass point estimation.
Grievances Appeal Process
If you feel you were wrongly denied certification, either original or renewal, from the CAP or CCST programs, then you have the right to appeal. Review the Grievances Appeal Process.
Verifying Computer Set-Up for Online Exams
Your Notice to Schedule (NTS) email from Scantron will have links for you to check your computer system. It is important to verify that your computer meets the minimum requirements below, and that you have reliable access to the Internet. An internet connection disruption will suspend the exam session. If you have computer system questions after following the instructions provided by Scantron's schedule confirmation email, please contact Scantron at +1 919-572-6880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: If taking the exam online, you must use a computer on which you have full admin access.
Note: Scantron is changing to Meazure Learning. Scantron, Meazure Learning, and ProctorU are all one-in-the-same organization.
On or before 4 October, 2022:
- Check your set-up for Scantron's delivery system.
- Configure your set-up for the LOP environment before the exam.
- Check your set-up for Meazure Learning’s delivery system
- Preview the Candidate Experience with ProctorU
- Browse the ProctorU Resource Center
Items to Bring for In-Person Exams
- Your valid, government issued photo ID (e.g., driver's license, passport, state-issued ID card)
- The printed exam confirmation notice you received from Scantron.
- No other items can be brought into the exam environment. A calculator and any other needed resource materials will be provided on the computer for those taking the exam electronically.
All ISA certification exams are closed-book. No reference material will be allowed in any test room. Please note that storage space will be limited.
For all CCST level exams, Units Conversion Tables will be provided to candidates in either paper format (paper/pencil exams) or accessible within the electronic test interface for reference during the exam. Click here to review the Units Conversion Tables.
Cancelation and Rescheduling Policies
Cancelling an Exam
You can cancel an exam through the online exam scheduling system.
- Online exam appointments must be cancelled no less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment date and time. There is no cancellation fee
- Exam center appointments must be cancelled no less than two calendar days prior to the scheduled testing appointment. There is a cancellation fee of 50 USD payable to Scantron via a secure e-commerce site (credit card)
Scheduling a Retest or Missed Exam
You may retest as many times as needed within your exam window. However, there is a retest fee each time that is payable to ISA. If you are outside your exam window, contact email@example.com. If you are within your exam window, you may reschedule your exam appointment before the online and test center reschedule cut-off times via the online exam scheduling system.
There is no rescheduling fee to change the time and date from one online exam appointment to another online exam appointment. However, it must be changed no less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment date and time.
There is no rescheduling fee to change the time and date of an online exam appointment to an exam center appointment. However, it must be changed at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled appointment. Additionally, you must reschedule the new appointment no less than two calendar days in advance of the new appointment at a Scantron test center.
You will incur a rescheduling fee of 50 USD if you change the appointment time and/or date of a test center exam appointment. Rescheduling fees are payable to Scantron via a secure e-commerce site (credit card). The reschedule cut-off time is no later than two calendar days prior to the exam appointment. Additionally, if you are scheduling a new online exam appointment, it must be done no less than 24 hours prior to the new appointment date and time.
No-Shows and Late ArrivalsIf you fail to appear for a scheduled exam, or arrive more than 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, fees will apply. See reschedule fees without proper advance notification. You must reschedule your exam within your twelve-month exam window.
Retaking Missed Exams
If you are within your exam window, you may retake a missed exam. However, there will be a reschedule fee, payable to ISA. To reschedule, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact customer service at email@example.com or +1 919-549-8411 with your request.
You may qualify for an exception if you meet certain conditions and submit documentation to Scantron no later than five calendar days after the scheduled exam appointment. If the exception is approved, there will be a no-show exemption fee of 50 USD payable via secure e-commerce (credit card) and collected by Scantron. Please contact Scantron by phone at +1 919-572-6880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Scantron will email the results to you immediately after you complete the exam. If you pass, you will receive an email containing a digital badge from email@example.com within 48 hours of completing the exam.
ISA does not provide a passing score; you are only notified whether you passed or failed. If you fail an exam, you will receive a score report that lists the domains and indicates the percentage of questions answered correctly within each domain. Note that the percentages are not used to calculate a candidate’s passing score.
If you do not receive an email containing your results within 24 hours, please contact Scantron by phone at +1 919-572-6880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.