Length: 1 day
CEU Credits: 0.7
Course Hours: 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Certification of Completion: A Certificate of Completion indicating the total number of CEUs earned will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
This seminar presents the methodology for developing and applying instrument and control drawings and the ISA Standards available to assist in this effort. You will develop actual documents for a simple project to aid your understanding.
You will be able to:
- Define instrument and control systems, including: Process Flow Diagrams, Piping and Instrumentation Drawings (P&IDs), Instrument Lists, Specification Forms, Logic Diagrams, Location Plans, Installation Details, Loop Diagrams
- Explain the type of information included on each document
- Identify the sequence of document development for a typical project
- Identify some process control devices and the symbols used to define them
- Identify the ISA Standards available to assist you in developing and understanding instrument and control documents
What You'll Cover:
- Symbols: General Instrument or Function Symbols | Instrument Line Symbols | Function Blocks-Function Designations
- ISA Standard Identification Letters: Typical Letter Combinations | Field or Local Instruments | More Primary Element Symbols | Typical Transmitters-Flow | Orifice Plates | Typical Transmitters-Level | Transmitters-Pressure and Temperature
- Typical Controllers: Field Locations | Control Board Locations | Distributed Control System (DCS) | Computer | Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
- Control Valve Types: Actuator Action and Power Failure
- Process Flow Diagram: Process Description | P&IDs and ISA Standards | Typical P&ID
- Climatization: Instrument Numbering
- Instrument List: Specification Forms | An ISA20 Specification Form
- Logic Diagram: Binary Logic Diagrams for Process Operations | Motor Start Logic
- Instrument Installation: Installation Detail
- Loop Diagram: Types and Uses
- Control Schemes: Feedback Loop | Radio Control | Cascade Control
- Split Range
- Develop a diagram for a typical feedback loop
- Compare symbols of instrument devices with their names
- Use standards symbols to create partial instrument loops
Includes ISA Standards:
- ANSI/ISA-5.12009 - Instrumentation Symbols and Identification
- ANSI/ISA-5.41991 - Instrument Loop Diagrams
- ANSI/ISA-5.51985 - Graphic Symbols for Process Displays
- ANSI/ISA-201981 - Specification Forms for Process Measurement and Control Instruments, Primary Elements, and Control Valves
- ANSI/ISA5.06.01-2007 - Functional Requirements Documentation for Control Software Applications
If you wish to register offline, download the Training Registration Form, complete, and return to ISA with your payment.
Not sure this particular course is for you?
A pre-instructional survey is available for you to evaluate your level of understanding of the course material and to show you the types of questions you'll be able to answer after completing the course.