Length: 12 Weeks
CEU Credits: 2.1
Certification of Completion: A Certificate of Completion indicating the total number of CEUs earned will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
This online course reviews the knowledge and skills areas that are included on the Control Systems Engineer (CSE) Professional Engineer (PE) examination produced by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) and administered by US state professional license boards each October. The intent of the class is to prepare an engineer with a minimum of four years of experience to take the exam by providing instruction in the broad range of technical areas that will be tested. The content is based on the CSE Exam Specification that went into effect in October 2019.
ISA's CyberU online instructor-led training course offers the benefit of a high quality ISA training course with the added advantage of studying at your own pace in the office, at home or while traveling.
This online course utilizes online training modules, online evaluations, additional homework and exercise modules and email discussions. Students will have access via email to an instructor and have an opportunity to participate in live Q&A sessions with the instructor and other class participants. You will have access to the online modules 24/7 throughout the course. Each module takes approximately 60 minutes. Your course syllabus will guide you through the course modules, provide assignments, and the schedule for each live Q & A session.
You will be able to:
- Follow the guidelines for taking the CSE exam
- Identify the breadth of the knowledge and skills areas covered
- Apply recognized standards for symbols and documents
- Recognize the basic calculation techniques for measurement devices
- Apply process variable measurements and sensor selection
- Compare the various final control elements/valves
- Explain basic process control loops: their configuration, operation, and performance
- Follow discrete logic in motor and interlock control
- Describe various signal conversion and wiring arrangements
- Compare various installation methods and techniques
- Determine material requirements from physical parameters
- Use safety instrumented basics
- Interpret system scope statements and apply to design needs
You will cover:
- Week 1: CSE Professional Engineer Overview & Control Systems Concepts
- Week 2: Sensor Characteristics & Pressure Measurement
- Week 3: Level & Temperature Measurement
- Week 4: Flow Measurement
- Week 5: Signals & Transmission, Smart Transmitters, and Wiring Considerations
- Week 6: Control Valve Types, Characteristics, Sizing, Calculations, Selection & Installation
- Week 7: Pressure Relief Devices, Variable Speed Drives & System Documentation
- Week 8: Control Types & Characteristics
- Week 9: Sample Loop Problems & Control Loop Tuning
- Week 10: Control Room Ergonomics, System Architecture, Configuration & Programming
- Week 11: Safety Instrumented Systems & Code Application (ISA, ANSI, NEC, NFPA)
- Week 12: Final Exam
Course Materials (Digital Format):
- Course noteset with slides from course modules and course syllabus
- Includes ISA Textbox: Control Systems Engineering Study Guide, 7th Edition
Features of ISA CyberU online course:
Online Pre-recorded Course Modules
Your instructor has pre-recorded each course module so that you can access the course presentations on your schedule. Each module is a web/audio session that takes approximately 60 minutes.
Ask the Expert
Interact with your expert instructor, via email throughout the course and through scheduled live Q& A sessions. You can expect a reply to your email within 24 hours. This email address is active during the entire course duration.
The Q&A sessions provide an opportunity for you and your classmates to speak one-on-one with the instructor. You will have an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the course material and interact with your fellow classmates.
You will be invited to subscribe to a course listserve that includes course participants. You can use this listserve to post questions and share experience relevant to the course with other class members.
Course Assignments and Exams
- Take the course pre-test before you begin studying the course material to get a better understanding of areas that you will want to focus on more during the course.
- Homework assignments for all modules will be indicated on the syllabus. The homework assignments are designed to help expand your understanding of the course material.
- Complete the final exam for the course in order to receive Continuing Education Units (CEU) credit. The final exam will be taken and scored online. You must receive at least 80% on the course exam to receive CEU credit.
- Continuing Education Units (CEU) credits are awarded to all students who successfully complete the final course exam.