Length: 13 Weeks
Course Hours: Online Course - Refer to Syllabus
Certification of Completion: A Certificate of Completion indicating the total number of CEUs earned will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
ISA's computer-based online instructor-assisted training courses offer the benefit of a high quality ISA training course with the added advantage of studying at your own pace in the office, at home, or while traveling.
This online course utilizes pre-recorded training modules, additional text materials, online evaluations, and e-mail discussions. Students will have access via email to an instructor.
This online, self-paced course runs for thirteen (13) weeks. You will have access to 22 online modules, each taking approximately 60 minutes. Your course syllabus will guide you through the course modules and provide assignments and opportunities to interact with the instructor and other course participants.
This self-paced, online course reviews the knowledge and skill areas included on the Certified Automation Professional® (CAP®) certification program examination. The intent is to prepare an automation professional who meets the exam criteria to take the exam. The content is based on the Job Analysis Domains, Tasks, Knowledge Areas, and Skill Areas developed as the basis for the CAP certification exam. This course is the recommended replacement for the discontinued CAP Learning System preparation tool, as it incorporates content similarly included in that tool.
You will be able to:
- Recognize the scope and format of the CAP exam
- Compare process variable measurements and control valve selections
- Explain how the various types of control technologies are used in industrial automation, including process control from basic to advanced control, discrete, batch, motor, and motion control
- Appreciate the range of digital communications used in automation, and how these are used in system integration
- Identify when safety instrumented systems (SISs) are needed and how they are specified
- Appreciate the importance of electrical issues that relate to grounding and noise
- Deal with the critical areas of automation opportunity identification and project justification
- Identify the best practice methodology for automation project execution
You will cover:
- Module 1: Introduction/CAP Basics
- Module 2: Process Instrumentation
- Module 3: Analytical Instrumentation
- Module 4: Continuous Control
- Module 5: Control Valves & Analog Communications
- Module 6: Control System Documentation & Equipment
- Practice Exam #1
- Module 7: Discrete I/O Devices & General Manufacturing Measurements
- Module 8: Motor & Drive Control
- Module 9: Motion Control
- Module 10: Process Modeling & Advanced Process Control
- Module 11: Batch Control
- Module 12: Alarm Management & Reliability
- Practice Exam #2
- Module 13: Process Safety & Safety Instrumented Systems
- Module 14: Electrical Installations & Electrical Safety
- Module 15: Digital Communications
- Module 16: Industrial Networks
- Module 17: MES Integration & Network Security
- Module 18: Operator Interface & Data Management
- Module 19: Software & Custom Software
- Module 20: Operator Training & Checkout, System Testing & Startup
- Module 21: Troubleshooting
- Module 22: Automation Benefits, Project Justification/Management and Interpersonal Skills
- Final Examination
Course Materials (Digital Format)
Course materials will be provided to all course registrants prior to the course start date.
- Course noteset with slides from course modules and course syllabus
- Includes ISA Text: Certified Automation Professional (CAP) Study Guide
Recommended Resource: A Guide to the Automation Body of Knowledge, 3rd Edition Edited by Nicholas P. Sands, PE, CAP, ISA Fellow and Ian Verhappen, P Eng, CAP, ISA Fellow
Features of ISA's Computer-Based Online Course:
Ask the Expert
Interact with your expert instructor via email throughout the course. You can expect a reply to your email within 24 hours. This email address is active during the entire course duration.
You will be invited to subscribe to a course listserve that includes course participants. You can use this listserve to post questions and share experience relevant to the course with other class members.
Course Assignments and Exams
- Take the course pre-test before you begin studying the course material to get a better understanding of areas that you will want to focus on more during the course.
- Special homework practice exam exercises will be indicated on the syllabus.
- Complete the final exam for the course in order to receive Continuing Education Units (CEU) credit. The final exam will be taken and scored online. You must receive at least 80% on the final exam to receive CEU credit and certificate of completion.