Recognition of your achievements is critical when you seek employment. The ISA CAP Associate program will give you third-party, objective assessment and confirmation of your potential to become an automation professional.
The ISA CAP Associate program provides recognition of the individual's interest and knowledge of automation. Although the CAP Associate program is not a certification program, it provides an additional credential for your resume. Individuals who pass the CAP Associate exam will receive one year of "work experience" credit toward the Certified Automation Professional®(CAP®) eligibility requirements. CAP® applicants who have a four year technical degree must document five years of experience in automation. The CAP Associate would be eligible to sit for the CAP exam after four years of work experience in automation.
General criteria to qualify to take the CAP Associate examination includes a commitment to the ISA Code of Ethics along with requested documentation supporting the education and/or experience requirements, and the application fee. Applicants must meet one of the three qualifications outlined below to be eligible to sit for the CAP Associate exam.
Acceptable education and work experience requirements:
- If you hold a 4 year academic degree from an accredited educational institution in a technical or technology field including chemistry, computer programming, physics, math, instrumentation, measurement and control, electrical, electronics or mechanical.
- If you hold a 2 year technical degree from an accredited educational institution in a technical or technology field including computer programming, instrumentation, measurement and control, electrical, electronics or mechanical
- and related work experience of one (1) year in the automation field. One (1) year of work experience means 1,500 hours of active employment.
- Five years of work related work experience in the automation field. One (1) year of work experience means 1,500 hours of active employment.
ISA reserves the right to audit information provided in your certification application. A random selection of applicants will be chosen for audit. If your application is audited, you will be required to verify your employment history, education, and position as it relates to your application eligibility. Applicants who are audited must complete an audit form and return to ISA within sixty (60) days of audit notification. Failure to do so will result in revocation of your application.
Note: This recognition program is not a certification. Those who take the CAP Associate examination may be interested in pursuing the Certified Automation Professional certification program once the experience level reaches five years. Successfully completing the CAP Associate exam equals one year of experience good toward the CAP requirements.
Apply for Recognition
Apply by submitting payment for the application fee. During that process, you will self-certify that you are fully compliant with one of the three education and work experience criteria outlined above.
- $85 for ISA Members
- $95 for Affiliate Member/Community Member/List
You will be emailed a testing eligibility code within 5 to 10 business days and instructions to schedule your exam through Scantron, our third party testing provider. Visit the certificate exams and testing page to learn more.
Prepare for the CAP Associate Exam
A Guide to the Automation Book of Knowledge is the primary text resource for the CAP Associate Exam.
Submit payment for the retesting fee. You will be emailed within 5 to 10 business days with next steps.
- $40 for ISA Member and Affiliate Member/Community Member/List
Contact an ISA Certification Administrator at +1-919-990-9459 or firstname.lastname@example.org.