Length: 3 days
CEU Credits: 2.1
Course Hours: 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Certification of Completion: A Certificate of Completion indicating the total number of CEUs earned will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
Take Courses TC05 and TC10 and Save!
Combo Price: ISA Member $3,030, Affiliate Member: $3,410, Community Member/List: $3,790
Related Course: Troubleshooting Instrumentation and Control Systems (TC10)
Note: Please contact Customer Service to receive combo pricing.
Description:"Very good overview of control loop tuning."
~James McCormick, Plant Instrumentation Manager
This course is directed to anyone who would like to gain a better understanding of how to tune control loops-whether they have tuned loops but would like to become more proficient or they have never tuned a loop before. Registrants are expected to have a basic understanding of instrumentation and controls (either by working experience or taking fundamental courses such as ISA's FG07: Introduction to Industrial Automation and Control) as this course does not cover that material.
You will be able to:
- Define the concepts of PID control
- Explain the operation of the components in a closed loop control system including static and dynamic functions
- Identify the requirements for open loop and closed loop stability
- Use three methods to tune a control system for stated quality control
- Apply the functions of cascade control loops and the advantage of cascade control over single element feedback control
- Tune a cascade control loop for optimum control
- Apply the principles and design features of feedforward control
- Tune a feedforward control system for optimum control
- Identify the advantages of feedforward control over feedback control
- Apply the operation and function of ratio control systems
- Tune ratio control systems
You will cover:
- Review of Feedback Control Concepts and Components: History of Control Operation | Concepts | Pictorial Representation | Disturbances in the Loop
- Control Modes: Proportional | Integral | Derivative
- Dynamic and Steady State Considerations: Gain | Dead Time | Time Constant
- Tuning Control Systems: Closed Loop Tuning Using Ziegler Nichols Method | Evaluation and Control Criteria
- Cascade Control: Primary Loop | Secondary Loop | Design and Tuning Criteria
- Ratio Control: Applications | Implementation
- Feedforward Control: Criteria | Applications | Tuning | Implementation | Material and Energy Balances
- Safety Concerns and Procedures when Operating Control Systems
- Demonstrate the operation of components required for closed loop control
- Review start-up procedures for single- and multi-loop systems
- Tune feedback control loops via a number of different methods
- Tune cascade, ratio, and feedforward control systems
- Tune using PC-based simulation software
- Observe operation and tuning of a feedback control loop
- Tune cascade, ratio, and feedforward control systems using PC-Based simulation software
Included With the Course: Basic and Advanced Regulatory Control: System Design and Applications, Third Edition
Recommended Resources: Fundamentals of Process Control Theory, 3rd Edition
If you wish to register offline, download the Training Registration Form, complete, and return to ISA with your payment.
Not sure this particular course is for you?
A pre-instructional survey is available for you to evaluate your level of understanding of the course material and to show you the types of questions you'll be able to answer after completing the course.
For more information:
Contact us at +1 919-549-8411 or email@example.com to start your company on the path to well-trained employees.