Advanced Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Selection (EC52) builds upon the foundation set in ISA's Safety Instrumented Systems: A Lifecycle Approach (EC50) and explores examples of SIL selections through different techniques and determinations of risk reduction requirements. Students will be better able to save their companies time and money by knowing how to optimize system performance requirements.
This course is part of the ISA/IEC 61511 Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate Program. Course registration includes one exam fee. Pass the exam and earn the ISA/IEC 61511 SIS Selection Specialist Certificate designation.
Successful completion of ISA Safety Instrumented Systems: A Lifecycle Approach (EC50) and a passing grade for the ISA Certificate Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate exam are required prerequisites for EC52.
Who should attend EC52?
- Control systems engineers and managers
- System integrators
- Plant managers
- Plant safety and risk management personnel
View Offerings by Format
Length: 2 days
Virtual Classroom (EC52V)
Length: 2 days
- Design and implement different SIL selection techniques
- Review the risk matrix, risk graph
- Explore the LOPA
- Determine the appropriate level of performance needed for your safety systems
- Examine the consequences of over- or under-designing the system requirements
- Prevention of system requirements over- or under-design
- Determination of the appropriate level of performance needed for your safety systems
- SIL selection hands-on examples
- 3-Dimensional risk matrix
- Risk graph
- Modified (implicit) LOPA
- The course consists of multiple application exercises of safety integrity level selection
- Students are encouraged to bring their own examples to cover in class
- ISA/IEC 61511 series of standards will be provided for use during the course
- Safety Integrity Level Selection - Systematic Methods Including Layer of Protection Analysis by Edward M. Marszal, PE and Dr. Eric W. Scharpf, MIPENZ
A hand-held, scientific calculator should be brought to class.