ISA and China Instrument & Control Society sign memorandum of cooperation
ISA recently announced it has signed a memorandum of cooperation with the China Instrument & Control Society (CIS), the leading academic organization in instrumentation, measurement, control, and automation in China.
While the two organizations have maintained a mutually beneficial bilateral relationship since 1980—with both entities regularly supporting and participating in the events and activities of the other—the memorandum of cooperation formally declares joint intentions to:
- Further the professional interests of automation and control professionals throughout the world
- Encourage the exchange and dissemination of technical information
- Promote understanding and cooperation between the members of CIS and ISA
“The signing of this memorandum of cooperation is the result of multiple conversations in recent years between ISA and CIS,” says Patrick Gouhin, ISA executive director and CEO. “We have established a mutual understanding, based on each organization’s strengths and competencies, that allows us to take the relationship to the next level, benefiting all automation professionals around the world through enhanced information sharing.”
Specifically, the agreement outlines several opportunities for collaboration, including:
- Co-organized technical training courses in China for measurement and control, control systems, and instrumentation personnel, automation engineers, technicians, skilled workers, and maintenance staff. CIS also will explore the potential of a collaborative training program, branded by both organizations, that would allow CIS instructors to receive ISA training and then be qualified to teach cobranded courses throughout China.
- Cosponsored automation conferences in China with ancillary programming, including training, standard overviews, publication presentations, exhibits, and other related activities. In addition, consideration will be given to cosponsored academic conferences in China, other parts of the Asia-Pacific region, the U.S., and throughout the world.
- Reciprocal membership, enabling members of both associations to gain membership into the other at a significant discount.
- The translation of more ISA publications into Chinese, and the translation of more CIS publications into English. By translating versions of their most popular books and other publications, the organizations would be able to offer new educational resources to their respective audiences.
- Expanding access to ISA automation and control standards in China, meeting the country’s growing demands for best-practice solutions in industry and manufacturing.
The nonprofit China Instrument and Control Society, formerly China Instrument Society, was founded in 1979. It is located in Beijing and operates as a bridge among the Chinese governmental administrations, industries, scientists, engineers, researchers, and manufacturers. With 42,000 individual members, 2,100 group members, 41 technical divisions, 29 local sections, and 10 ad hoc committees, CIS publishes six academic and technical journals on measurement and control and instrumentation, and has hosted the Multinational Instrumentation Conference and Exhibition annually since 1983, providing a forum for innovation as well as science and technology awards.