OMAC machine tool working group update
The OMAC Machine Tool working group met during the February ARC Forum in Orlando, Fla., and agreed on the following changes to the group:
- Sub-teams will be organized in a task-oriented manner instead of the present domain orientation. They will have defined deliverables and must include a stakeholder and a technology provider. Sub-teams will disband once their assigned tasks are completed.
- The group will use virtual collaboration technology to as great an extent as possible to allow us to collaborate not only in a place convenient but in our own time. This will allow participation from smaller companies that cannot afford travel to face-to-face meetings and enable easier entry into OMAC for industries that are not presently represented.
- We established three sub-teams under the new structure:
- The STEP-NC Sub-team will develop, test, advocate for, and facilitate the adoption of the STEP-NC CNC/CAM data standard (ISO 103003-328).
- The Machine Tool Subprograms Sub-Team will develop, test, advocate for, and facilitate the adoption of standard CNC subprograms to enable portability for machine-specific functions.
- The Spline Toolpaths Sub-team will develop, test, advocate for, and facilitate the adoption of spline toolpaths.
Anyone interested in participating in the OMAC Machine Tool working group or one of its sub-teams should contact the working group chairman, David Odendahl.