A Guide to the Automation Book of Knowledge, 2nd Edition (ISA,2006) – www.isa.org/autobok is the primary text resource for the CAP Associate Exam.
CAP Associate Practice Questions
The following questions were taken from the CAP® examination question item bank and serve as examples of the question type and question content found on the CAP Associate examination.
1. Which symbol represents a capillary tubing line on a P&ID?
2. An intermediate tank has a Level Switch High (LSH) to prevent overfill and a Level Switch Low (LSL) to prevent dry-running the pump. The power supply for the field transmitters recently failed, causing an alarm on the LSH while the LSL status continued to indicate sufficient level. Which of the following explanations describes the situation? (Assume a fail-safe wiring methodology.)
A. The LSL is wired incorrectly and should have alarmed. The LSH is wired correctly.
3. Which of the following instruments would typically require only a discrete I/O Interface to a PLC System?
A. Alarm Beacon Lamp
4. Which of the following is an acceptable final variable control element in the control of flow for fluid processes?
A. Pump with a Drive
5. What MUST be present for a PI Loop to produce an output?
A. Control Valve
6. What term is used to denote the mathematical characterization of a process so that variables may be manipulated to determine their behavior in different situations?
A. Method evaluation
7. What is the purpose of Uninterruptible Voltage Source (UVS)?
A. Protection against short duration outages
8. Under which condition can a system with a low reliability potentially have a high availability?
A. When the restore rate is a constant
9. What AutoCAD command is used to switch from one system of measurement to another?
10. Which IP address is in a "Class A" network range?
11. Which of the following statements is a benefit of having well-written learning objectives?
A. Specifies whom the educational program is intended for
12. Cause-and-effect diagrams and control charts would be MOST useful during which troubleshooting activity?
A. Problem definition
13. Capital budgeting is BEST described as
A. decision making related to current expenditures.
14. In which type of contract does an organization agree to pay an hourly rate that guarantees a fair profit to the engineering firm awarded the contract for the project duration?
Practice Questions Answer Key