Analyzing gas stream from afar
Remotely manageable gas chromatograph
A gas chromatograph is an in-process field instrument that measures the chemical composition of product samples. Sampling a product line typically occurs at a configurable rate.
If using Web remote management technology, for example, a Web server and Web site will run within the chromatograph hardware. As with a commercial site, the chromatograph Web site will have a home page. From this home page, managers can access Web pages that show the following information:
- Alarm information: Is the unit operating within allowable limits?
- Calibration information: What is the currently set gas flow through the unit? What is the sample frequency?
- Online help for chromatograph setup, maintenance, or troublshooting.
- Setup wizards to simplify common tasks.
- Run-time values: What are the product's current composition levels?
To enter the secure calibration page, one must have a user name and password credentials. Instrument managers will be able to access the chromatograph using Web browser software such as Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
Authorized personnel may access the unit from a facility LAN, or if the chromatograph connects to the Internet, they may access the unit from anywhere in the world using any device with Web browsing capability.
Here are some of the most prominent benefits:
- Reduced maintenance costs result because technologist visits to the chromatograph are fewer. That's because much of the information to determine the instrument's condition transmits to that technologist.
- Reduced instrument downtime results because instrument maintenance costs go down, which leads to more frequent device maintenance. This in turn translates to fewer instrument failures.
- If the instrument does in fact fail, it may, depending on the nature of the failure, be remotely fixable. When this is the case, an instrument gets back online faster. This can result in greater facility uptime and productivity, which can lead to a significant increase in production revenue.